CPU is the most important unit in every computer system performing processing task and execution of all commands sent by other software and hardware parts; however, overheat would be resulted in lowering its performance.
Windows 10 operating system uses various mechanisms to keep the system cool. Overheat would be resulted in system to be turned off or to take some preventive measures resulting in reduction of temperature.
One of the parts prone to quick warm up which could be damaged due to high temperature is central processor unit (CPU). In Windows 10 and in case of CPU overheat or increase of heat in chassis to the extent that it would be harmful for hardware, system would become turned off or it may reduce power input to processor so that temperature would become reduced.
Controlling input power to CPU for temperature reduction
System processor needs electricity energy in order to work and this need would be increased upon more processes to be performed in that unit. When working with more power, more heat would be produced in addition to more electricity consumption. System central processor can tolerate the heat to some extent; however, if it would be overheated, its temperature has to be reduced in one way or the other so that hardware would not be prone to permanent damage.
In case of processor overheat due to heavy work load; usually power input to the hardware would be controlled by Windows 10. Through reduction of power input to processor, the part becomes cooler; however, its performance power would be also reduced so that more time would be needed for works to be done.
Whenever, system performance becomes poorer than usual, it can be assumed that power input to processor has been reduced. Taking performance of processor into consideration, the subject can be studied. To observe status of system performance in Windows 10, Resource Monitor software or other tools to supervise processor can be applied.
Supervision method on performance of processor
- Primarily, press shortcut keys win and R simultaneously so that running box at lower left of display becomes open.
- Inside the box type “perfomon.exe/res” and then press enter. Following program page will appear, showing performance of CPU and other parts of your system.
- Now use your system as usual.
- In this box shown with red color arrow, maximum power currently used by processor can be observed.
- If power usage doesn’t go beyond a certain point; then, power input to processor is controlled.
Reduction of speed of central processor occurs when it is overheated. If system would be cool, central processor would be working with its maximum power and with no reduction of speed. So, what has to be taken into consideration is temperature of processor. Download and run the “HWiNFO” program (free of charge).
If processor’s temperature wouldn’t be controlled, it can be prone to overheat and to prevent this, please act as follows:
- Thick “Sensors Only” and then click on Run.
- After the time that program page is opened, scroll down and go to DTS (almost in the middle of the page).
- Write down current temperature. If processor is very hot, the status would be shown in red color.
- In case of processor’s overheat, power input to it would be decreased which in turn causes its poor performance and reduction of its temperature.
Keeping the system cool, you can prevent pressure imposed on processor which causes its temperature increase. This cannot be bypassed; and, no probable bypass method is recommended to be applied.
Prevent CPU from overheat
- Keep the system in a place with good ventilation and make sure of air flow;
- To make processor cooler, use thermal paste or add one more fan;
- Make sure that chassis is always clean i.e. with no dust or contamination on it;
- Examine fans and make sure of their proper performance;
- Try to remain connected to power supply; because, your system’s CPU could be heated up due to problem in battery; and,
- Avoid overclocking the CPU.
Overheat of your processor can be resulted from hardware problems. If having any doubts about one part of the hardware to be the reason, examine it. It has been reported by some users that making inactive the Intel SpeedStep in its BIOS has led to overheat processor’s temperature to become fixed.